Through our links with Arthog Outreach in Telford, CHMAS is now able to provide Part 1 of the National Indoor Climbing Achievement Award Scheme (NICAS). Part 1 consists of two levels as described below:
Level 1 – Foundation Climber
- Awareness of safety rules and hazards, appropriate dress and behavior;
- Putting on a harness and helmet correctly;
- Participate in warm ups;
- Connecting harness to rope with a retied figure of 8 knot with stopper knot;
- Climbing a chosen route with confidence;
- Safe belaying under supervision;
- Correct method of descending by climber; and
- Basic climbing moves.
- Awareness of safety rules and hazards;
- Put on harness and helmet correctly;
- Tie a retied figure of eight knot with stopper knot;
- Climb a chosen route with confidence;
- Descend from a route correctly;
- Belay safely under supervision;
- Demonstrate consistent safe behaviour;
- Complete 10 climbs of any grade (rainbow); and
- Complete 10 belays.
Level 2 – Top Rope Climber
- Connecting self and others to rope with a retied figure of eight knot and stopper knot;
- Pre-climb checks;
- Belaying and lowering using a suitable belay device;
- Ground anchor systems;
- Holding a fall in a bottom rope situation (belayer on ground with rope passing through top anchor);
- Effective communication and teamwork with climbing partner;
- Knowledge of indoor climbing (French sport) and bouldering grades;
- Selection of appropriate routes;
- Effective safe use of a bouldering/ traversing wall (if applicable); and
- Simple climbing technique – the use of feet and legs, relaxed upright stance, confident approach, smooth movement and observation of holds.
- Connect rope to harness with retied figure 8 and stopper knot consistently;
- Consistently performs pre-climb checks;
- Belays consistently correctly;
- Can safely hold a simple top rope fall;
- Lowers a climber consistently correctly;
- Communicates well with climber;
- Understanding of French sport grades and selection of appropriate routes;
- Safe and effective use of a bouldering/ traversing wall;
- Complete 25 set climbs of any grade; and
- Complete 25 belays.
Registration for Part 1, at the time of writing, costs £4 and includes a log book and all certificates. To find out more about the NICAS scheme then please click here.
If you would like to take part in this award then please take a look at our main site to find out more by clicking here.